Report: Spurs waive guard Josh Primo after sexual abuse allegations

A female former San Antonio Spurs employee alleged that former Spurs guard Josh Primo exposed himself in her presence, a person with knowledge of the matter said Saturday night.

The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because no details had been publicly disclosed by the Spurs, Primo or the accuser.

Attorney Tony Buzbee confirmed to the AP that he has been hired by a “former contractor” with the Spurs. He is the attorney who represented 24 women who sued Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watsonthen the Houston Texans, accusing him of sexual assault or harassment.

Josh Primo
FILE — Josh Primo of the San Antonio Spurs warms up before a game against the Houston Rockets at the AT&T Center on January 12, 2022, in San Antonio, Texas.

Getty Images


Watson is serving an 11-game suspension without pay and was fined $5 million by the NFL.

Primo resigned from Spurs on Friday in a surprising move given the 19-year-old was seen as a major factor in the club’s future. ESPN, citing sources, reported Saturday that the Spurs parted ways with Primo after “multiple alleged instances where he exposed himself to women.” The San Antonio Express-News also confirmed that the Spurs’ decision followed multiple complaints against Primo.

There are no active court cases against Primo in Bexar County, Texas, according to online records.

On Friday, Primo released a statement to ESPN saying that he “has sought help to deal with past trauma and will now take this time to focus more fully on my mental health treatment. I hope to be able to discuss these issues in the future so I can help others who have suffered in a similar way. I appreciate privacy at this time.”

The Spurs took Primo with the No. 12 pick in the 2021 NBA draft after he spent one year in college at Alabama. The team had even recently picked up his third-year option, a largely procedural move that locked in a $4.3 million salary for next season and indicated he was expected to remain in the Spurs’ plans. He earned $4.1 million this season.

“We hope that, in the long run, this decision serves the best interest of both the organization and Joshua,” Spurs CEO RC Buford said when the team waived Primo on Friday. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich did not elaborate, referring reporters to Buford’s statement and saying “we’ll stick to what we told you.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *