Paul Pelosi shooting suspect David DePape faces federal assault and attempted kidnapping charges

Paul Pelosi shooting suspect David DePape faces federal assault and attempted kidnapping charges

David DePape, the suspect in the attack on Nancy Pelosi’s husband Paul Pelosi with a hammer in their San Francisco home, is now facing federal charges.

Charges of assaulting a family member of a federal official and attempted kidnapping of a federal official are outlined in a criminal complaint filed by an FBI agent in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California on Monday afternoon. The filing came three days after Mr. DePape, 42, was accused of breaking and entering the couple’s Pacific Heights home and assaulting Mr. Pelosi, 82.

The criminal complaint was based on an affidavit by FBI Special Agent Stephanie Minor and states that Mr. DePape attacked Mr. Pelosi “with the intent to retaliate” against the speaker “in the performance of official duties.”

“DePape stated that he was going to hold Nancy hostage and talk to her. If Nancy told DePape the ‘truth,’ he would let her go, and if she ‘lied,’ he would break her knees,” the complaint said. “DePape was sure that Nancy would not have told the ‘truth.’ During the interview, DePape articulated that he considered Nancy to be the “leader of the pack” of lies told by the Democratic Party.

The document continues: “DePape also later explained that by breaking Nancy’s knees, she would then have to be taken to Congress, which would show other members of Congress that there were consequences for the actions. DePape also generally explained that he wanted to use Nancy to lure another person to DePape.

In Mr. DePape’s backpack, police found “a roll of tape, white rope, a hammer, a pair of rubber and cloth gloves and a journal.”

The suspect reportedly first entered the Democratic leader’s home by breaking down a back door before making his way to the second floor to confront Mr. Pelosi, as Ms. Pelosi was still in Washington.

“It was a forced entry to the back door of the house and that he eventually went upstairs where he finally confronted Mr. Pelosi,” San Francisco District Attorney Brooke Jenkins said.

The suspect repeatedly yelled “where’s Nancy?” when he confronted Mr. Pelosi, who was alone at the time of the break-in, according to CBS News.

“When Pelosi told him Nancy wasn’t there, Depp said he would sit and wait. Pelosi said his wife would not be home for several days, and then Depp reiterated that he would be waiting. DePape stated he wanted to tie Pelosi to sleep as he was tired from having to carry a backpack to the Pelosi residence,” the complaint said, so he began “pulling twist ties from his pocket. that he could contain Pelosi. Pelosi went to another part of the house, but Depp stopped him and together they went back to the bedroom.”

It was at this point that Mr. Pelosi went into the bathroom and called 911.

“DePape recalled thinking there was no way the police would forget the call,” the complaint states. “DePape explained that he did not leave after Pelosi’s 911 call because, like the American founding fathers with the British, he was fighting against tyranny without the option of surrender.”

According to the complaint, Mr. DePape said they went downstairs.

“The police arrived and knocked on the door, and Pelosi ran and opened it. Pelosi grabbed Depp’s hammer, which was in Depp’s hand,” the legal filing states. “At this point in the interview, DePape reiterated that DePape did not plan to surrender and that he would go through Pelosi. DePape stated that he pulled the gavel away from Pelosi and swung the gavel at Pelosi. DePape explained that Pelosi’s actions resulted in Pelosi “taking the punishment instead.”

Mr. DePape lived in a garage on Shasta Street in Richmond, California, where “agents seized two hammers, a sword and a pair of rubber and cloth gloves.”

The US Capitol Police said in a statement that agents with the California field office “quickly arrived on scene,” while a team of investigators was dispatched to assist the FBI and San Francisco police in a joint investigation.

Officers were dispatched to the family’s home at 2:27 a.m., according to San Francisco Police Chief William Scott, via CBS News. When they arrived on stage, Mr. DePape and Mr. Pelosi were both seen fighting for control of a gavel.

“The front door was open, both men were holding on to one end of the hammer,” Ms Jenkins told the outlet. “There was an order to drop the gun, drop the hammer.”

Police said that after giving her commands, the suspect then pulled the hammer from Pelosi and attacked him with it, which resulted in Pelosi suffering a fractured skull.

Chief Scott added that officers “immediately confronted” De Pape after this and then proceeded to take him into custody. The shooter had also tried to tie Pelosi up “until Nancy came home.”

The Speaker of the House broke her silence on the brutal attack on her husband over the weekend, saying in a statement that “our children, our grandchildren and I are devastated and traumatized by the life-threatening attack on our pop.”

Pelosi, who reportedly suffered blunt force trauma to his head and body, remains in hospital where he is being treated for significant swelling and bruising. The 82-year-old’s son told a news conference on Sunday that his father is responding to treatment but has not yet been discharged.

“They’re slowly rebuilding him,” Paul Pelosi Jr. told reporters outside San Francisco’s Zuckerberg General Hospital and Trauma Center on Sunday afternoon, according to the New York Post.

Mr. DePape was also taken to the hospital for treatment.

The 42-year-old suspect is expected to appear in court for his statement on Tuesday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *