- You can connect an iPad to a TV with an AV cable (HDMI or VGA). You will need the appropriate adapter cable from Apple.
- To connect the iPad, simply connect the adapter to your iPad, connect the adapter to your TV with the appropriate cable and switch the TV to the correct input.
- You can also connect your iPad to a TV wirelessly if you have an Apple TV. To do this, use the Screen Mirroring feature in the iPad Control Center.
- On the TV, your iPad may appear somewhat low-resolution because its screen is being upgraded to a much larger screen, but your iPad will send videos and photos to the TV at the best possible resolution.
- Visit the Business Insider homepage for more stories.
It’s surprisingly easy to connect an iPad to a TV. Once connected, you can display the Home screen and any app, turning the TV into a giant iPad screen.
But you can also use the iPad to deliver high-definition video, essentially turning any TV into a “smart TV.” You can play Netflix, Hulu, or any streaming service from the iPad, or send videos and photos stored on the iPad itself to the screen.
There are two common ways to connect your iPad to a TV: via an AV cable and using an Apple TV device.
How to connect an iPad to your TV with an AV cable
To connect your iPad directly to a TV, you’ll need an adapter cable that’s compatible with the input you have on your TV or monitor. In most cases, this will be an HDMI cable, so you should get one Lightning to Digital AV Adapter from Apple (for older displays, Apple also sells a Lightning to VGA adapter).
1. Connect the adapter to an HDMI (or VGA) cable.
2. Connect the cable to an input on your TV.
3. Plug the adapter into the iPad’s Lightning port and turn on the iPad
4. Use the TV’s control panel or remote control to switch to the input you just connected the cable to.
That’s about it – you should see the iPad screen mirrored on the TV. The Home screen and most apps will probably look somewhat low-res (the iPad’s resolution is upscaled to the much larger TV screen), but when playing video, the full resolution of the video will be transferred to the TV.
If you will be using the iPad for a long time, you may want to connect the AV adapter to an AC adapter. This will provide power to the iPad while it is running. You’ll need an extra AC adapter and Lightning cable for this, as Apple doesn’t include one with the adapter.
How to connect an iPad to your TV with an Apple TV
If you have an Apple TV, the process is actually even easier because there are no cables — it’s all wireless, using your Wi-Fi network.
1. Make sure your iPad is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV.
2. Make sure your TV is on and showing your Apple TV.
3. Open the iPad Control Center by swiping down from the right side of the screen.
4. Tap Screen Mirroring, then tap Apple TV.
You should now see your iPad’s home screen mirrored on the TV.