Elon Musk tweets and deletes link to article promoting baseless conspiracy theory about Paul Pelosi attack

Elon Musk on Sunday tweeted and deleted a link to an article promoting a baseless conspiracy theory about the attack on Paul Pelosi. The tweet from Musk, who now owns Twitterraised concerns about what kind of content would be allowed on the social networking site under its control.

In a since-deleted tweet responding to Hillary Clinton, Musk wrote, “There’s a small chance there’s more to this story than meets the eye,” with a link to a story from the right-wing Santa Monica Observer website — a website that has promoted an anti-LGBT conspiracy theory about the attack, according to an archived version of the story.

The magazine has made false claims in the past, including that Clinton herself died on 9/11 and has since been replaced by a lookalike, according to the Associated Press.

Musk deleted the tweet shortly after it was posted Sunday morning, and as of Sunday afternoon had not tweeted since.

The former Secretary of State had he tweeted a link to a story in the Los Angeles Times about 42-year-old David Wayne Depp, the man suspected of beating House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband, Paul Pelosi, with a hammer inside the Pelosi home in San Francisco on Friday.

“The Republican Party and its mouthpieces now routinely spread hate and deranged conspiracy theories,” Clinton tweeted. “It is shocking, but not surprising, the result of violence. As citizens, we must hold them accountable for their words and the actions that follow.”

DePape on Friday reportedly broke into the Pelosi home, shouting “Where’s Nancy?” and planned to arrest Paul Pelosi until the speaker returned home, law enforcement sources told CBS News. DePape was immediately arrested by police and will be charged with attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, elder abuse, burglary and several additional felonies, authorities said.

A CBS News review of suspicious social media posts by DePape shows him spreading conspiracy theories about Holocaust denial, pedophiles in government and allegations that Democratic officials run child sex rings.

Musk’s since-deleted tweet was sent just days after the Tesla CEO officially took control of the social network earlier this week after buying it for $44 billion.

As questions swirl about what kind of content will be allowed on the site and whether previously banned accounts will be reinstated, Musk tweeted Friday that Twitter would form a “content moderation board with widely divergent views.”

“No major content decisions or account remediation will be made prior to the convening of this board,” Musk added.

Christina Ruffini contributed reporting.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *