Alec Baldwin sues to ‘clear his name’ in movie murder

Saying he wants to clear his name, Alec Baldwin on Friday sued people involved in the handling and supply of the loaded gun he used when he shot and killed filmmaker Halyna Hutchins during an accident on the set of 2021 in New Mexico.

Baldwin filed a complaint in Los Angeles Superior Court alleging negligence against some of the people sued by the script’s supervisor, Mamie Mitchell. Among other things, it seeks a share of any damages Mitchell may win from the people named by Baldwin and asks that they pay for any damages assessed against him.

Mitchell was standing behind Hutchins, who died shortly after being injured while preparing a scene for the western movie “Rust” at a movie ranch outside Santa Fe on Oct. 21, 2021.

Mitchell sued Baldwin, who produced the film, the production company and many others involved for assault and negligence.

In his cross-complaint, Baldwin says that while he was working camera angles with Hutchins during rehearsal for a scene, he pointed the gun in her direction and pulled back and released the gun’s hammer, which fired.

The shooting fatally wounded Hutchins and director Joel Souza in the shoulder.

The actor said neither he nor Hutchins knew the gun contained a live round.

“This tragedy occurred on a movie set – not on a gun range, not on a battlefield, not in a location where there should be even a remote possibility that a gun would contain live ammunition,” the lawsuit said.

Baldwin claimed he was told the gun was safe and that he did not pull the trigger. However, a recent FBI forensic report found that the gun could not fire unless the trigger was pulled.

“More than anyone else on this set, Baldwin is unfairly seen as the perpetrator of this tragedy. With these controversies, Baldwin seeks to clear his name,” the actor’s lawsuit states.

Baldwin’s complaint says he lost opportunities and was fired from jobs because of the shooting and also “suffered physically and emotionally from the grief caused by these events.”

The New Mexico Office of the Medical Examiner ruled the shooting an accident. However, prosecutors are reviewing the shooting to determine whether criminal charges should be filed.

In April, the New Mexico Office of Occupational Safety and Health imposed the maximum $137,000 fine on Rust Movie Productions and distributed a scathing account of safety failures, including testimony that production managers took little or no action to address two white-collar failures. of ammunition on set before the fatal shot.

The company disputes the fine.

Baldwin’s lawsuit alleges the negligence of armorer Hannah Guttierez-Reed. master master Sarah Zachry; First Assistant Director and Security Coordinator David Halls, who handed Baldwin the gun. Ammunition supplier Seth Kenney and his company, PDQ Arm & Prop, which also supplied prop arms for the production.

All have previously denied responsibility for the fatal shooting.

In October, Hutchins’ family announced they had agreed to settle another lawsuit against the actor and the film’s producers, and the producers said they plan to restart the project in January.

Ms. Gutierrez-Reed’s lawyer, Jason Bowles, said he was reviewing Baldwin’s lawsuit. Attorneys for other defendants did not immediately respond to requests for comment, The New York Times reported.

A phone message left by The Associated Press seeking comment from Bowles was not immediately returned Friday night.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *